Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Give From the Heart

In my family I just buy for the kids - all 2, my niece and now my nephew. Like my dad says we have enough and don't need a lot.

I really get into donating gifts to those in need. This year I am doing the following:

1. My apartment leasing office collects new toys for the Marine Toys for Tots campaign ( http://www.toysfortots.org/ ). Just like last year when you donate a toy(s) you get a voucher for the Residents' Holiday Dinner mid-December. This year I purchased a couple of reg $12 retro-looking Barbies on sale for $3. So will donate those.

2. The Family Place (http://www.familyplace.org/Page.aspx?pid=191) is shelter for women and and children. They are looking for people to adopt-a-family. My request for a small family was granted for a woman and her child. There's a list provided. You buy what you want from this and also supply wrapping paper, bows and tape. I take the items to The Family Place, and they make sure it goes to your adopt-a-family.

3. Women's Communities Association is looking for people to donate items for women living alone and women living in nursing homes. They have two donation drives a year - summer and winter. Their goal this winter is
300 shawls/blankets; 300 socks/footies; 500 boxes of Tissue wrapped in red wrapping paper or in a red bag. So I may visit Sam's and check out the boxes of tissue in bulk.

4. My work has adopted two elementary schools - one in Dallas and one in the ' burbs. They are looking for school supplies, certain articles of clothing, children's books, basketball, tissues, etc. I sure do love the books, so we'll see what I end up buying for this donation.

I do this selfishly, yes I said selfishly as it makes my heart feel good to help others in this way. During the summer, a department at work collects new toys to give to children in local hospitals for their birthday.

By the way, Black Friday shopping is something I avoid!

No comments: